28th November 2014
The AAPT London & South East regional APT network are hosting a lecture evening on Friday 28th November at UCH. This will include presentations by radiographers and a London Ambulance Paramedic. Poster is here to download
Registration form is here and should be sent to the LSE Lead Lakiesha Ward
13th March 2015
Following the implementation this year of the RSPH Level 3 Diploma in Anatomical Pathology Technology and in response to feedback received from those APTs interested in becoming external assessors, the RSPH and the AAPT are now in a position to offer a second one day training course in Level3 DIP APT External Assessment on Friday 13th March 2015
External assessors will start to be utilised to visit trainee APTs on the Level 3 Diploma APT course(s) in their home mortuaries. The role will include assessing the practical elements of the Level3 Dip in following areas:
• Unit APT3.6A: Assist with post mortem examinations
• Unit APT3.7 Preparation and operation of a mortuary
• Unit APT3.8 Prepare for post mortem examinations
• Unit APT3.9 Team working
• Unit APT3.11 Viewing of the deceased
Training centres will be responsible for employing the use of external assessors directly – in return external assessors will have all reasonable travel costs reimbursed. There are no additional payments associated with this role, much like the IBMS model of external assessment however; as an external assessor you will obviously be entitled to valuable CPD points and have the opportunity to assist in shaping the future role of the APT in a positive way by ensuring mortuary practical standards are high and maintained. It is envisaged each Level3 Dip student will need no more than 1 or possibly 2 days of external assessment.
Assessors will be required in every region of the UK and a list of those who have qualified to become assessors will be held centrally by the RSPH and the AAPT for centres to access.
Criteria for becoming an assessor:
• Qualified to current Certificate & Diploma level in APT with minimum 2 year experience at Diploma level
• Completion of the one day External Assessor course
• ACHS registered - This can be completed following the course and guidance and support will be offered as part of the training day – (IBMS external assessors must be HCPC registered to assess BMS students - we need to be on par with their standards for credibility. Registration also covers training & development so is a great indication that an APT is actively participating in this area)
Please note you do not need to be a mortuary manager / senior APT or be a member of the AAPT to be an external assessor, you just need to fit the criteria and be in a position to offer a commitment of 1 or 2 days per year to visit trainees to complete assessment in their workplace and all associated documentation so you will also need excellent verbal and written communication skills.
If you make a commitment to attend the training day, you are making a commitment to becoming an assessor – please do not attend the training if you feel you are unable to immediately commit and assist the trainees on course(s) this year.
Please complete the application form ASAP (places limited to 40) and return as this training will no doubt once again prove popular - We thank you in advance for your support in these exciting times!
The date is:
Friday 13th March 2015
11.00am – 16.00pm
AAPT 12 Coldbath Square LONDON EC1R 5HL